What Is Alt Text in WordPress? How to Add the Accessibility Feature
- Alt text in WordPress is a description that you can add to images on web pages to help blind and visually impaired people with a screen reader.
- You can add alternate text to your images when you upload them to WordPress using the alternate text field in the attachment details section of the media page.
- You can also edit alt text when inserting an image into a WordPress post.
- Alt text in WordPress works best when you follow best practices, including accurately describing your content and using no more than 100 characters.
- Check out Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Alt text is a brief text description of an image posted on the Internet that can be read aloud by accessibility devices for the blind and visually impaired, including screen readers.
But there’s another reason to include alt text: Google and other search engines use alt text to better understand the content of your photos. This will affect your website’s page ranking in search results.
Since WordPress is a popular website publishing tool, you can add alt text to the images contained on those web pages. The best time to add alt text to an image is when you upload it to WordPress. That way, the picture will have alt text in it from the start, and the text will already be there by the time you add the picture to a web page.
If the image is already in the WordPress media library and you just select it to be included in the post, there may already be a description in the alternative text box in the Attachment Details area. If the alt text is appropriate, include it in the post. If you want, you can edit the alt text before adding it.
Here’s how to write and add alt text in WordPress.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Apple Macbook Pro (from $ 1,299.00 at Apple)
Acer Chromebook 15 (starting at $ 179.99 at Walmart)
How to write good alt text in WordPress
Try to make the alternate text as useful as possible, as the alternate text describes a picture of a visually impaired person. This also helps search engines to rank your web pages according to the relevant keywords. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Briefly describe the actual content of the picture, not what the article or website is about.
- Do not start with a sentence like “picture of …” or “photo of …”. Just describe the scene.
- Try to limit your description to less than 100 characters, including spaces.
How to add alt text to an image in WordPress
1. While writing a post in WordPress, click “Add Media” at the top of the page.
Start adding alt text by clicking the Add Media button at the top of the page.
Dave Johnson / Business Insider
2. Add the image to your media library by browsing or dragging it onto the webpage.
3rd Once uploaded, you should see the attachment details page on the right side of the screen. Enter a description of the image in the Alt Text field.
Enter alternative text in the box on the right side of the page.
Dave Johnson / Business Insider
4th Complete any other entries you need to add, e.g. B. the lettering and the media credit.
5. Click on “Insert in Post”.