Create your first RPA robot in UiPath Orchestrator
The whole point of developing applications with UiPath Studio is to create programs that perform robotic process automation. But these programs have to find their way to an orchestration tool so that their robotic potential can be realized. And this is where UiPath Orchestrator comes in.
Robots are created and configured within UiPath Orchestrator. Once configured, they can either run the programs, instructions, or scripts created for them in a supervised or unattended manner. In this tutorial, we’re going to look at how to create unattended RPA robots in UiPath Orchestrator that can run a Hello World application that was built for them in UiPath Studio.
|A strategy for learning to use UiPath Orchestrator|
There are five phases to building, deploying, and managing RPA robots at runtime:
How to create a UiPath Orchestrator robot
Follow these steps to create a UiPath Orchestrator unattended robot:
- Sign in to the UiPath Orchestrator administration console
- Switch from the modern folder layout to the classic folder layout
- On the Administration tab, select Robots
- Click the plus button in the top right of the page and create a standard robot
- Set the following properties of the robot:
- Set the machine name to the host name of your local computer and accept the option to mount the resource
- Give the robot a name. In this UiPath Orchestrator robot tutorial, I made my decision Insights robot
- Provide an optional description
- Select Unattended as the type
- Set the Domain username value to the result of a whoami call in the command prompt. In this example I used thinkstation visitor because the desktop computer I am using is named Thinking station, and the account I signed in with is called Visitor
- Set the password to that of the user account on your Windows computer that corresponds to the username part of the whoami call from the previous step.
- To deploy the new, unattended UiPath Orchestrator robot, click Create
- On the same screen at the top of the page, click the Environments tab
- Click the plus button in the top right of the screen to create a new environment
- Enter a name for the environment and click Create. I called mine Insights environment.
- In the window that opens, check the box next to the UiPath Orchestrator robot you created and click Update to close the window
Steps to create RPA robots
Note that creating a UiPath Orchestrator unattended robot is only one step in the overall RPA code deployment process. The previous steps are to create the RPA program yourself. The following steps consist of deploying the RPA application in the cloud and linking the application and the robot through a manageable process. But with the UiPath Orchestrator robot created, you are well on your way to provision and manage the runtime of an automated robot process.